Whether you want to have sushi in a top Tokyo restaurant**,** visit the shrines of historic Kyoto**, or** head to the beaches of Okinawa**, the local Fodor’s travel experts in Japan are here to help!** Fodor’s Essential Japan guidebook is packed with maps, carefully curated recommendations, and everything else you need to simplify your trip-planning process and make the most of your time. This new edition has been fully redesigned with an easy-to-read layout, fresh information, and beautiful color photos. Fodor’s “Essential” guides have been named by Booklist as the Best Travel Guide Series of 2020!
Fodor’s Essential Japan travel guide includes:
- AN ILLUSTRATED ULTIMATE EXPERIENCES GUIDE to the top things to see and do
- MULTIPLE ITINERARIES to effectively organize your days and maximize your time
- MORE THAN 50 DETAILED MAPS to help you navigate confidently
- COLOR PHOTOS throughout to spark your wanderlust!
- HONEST RECOMMENDATIONS FROM LOCALS on the best sights, restaurants, hotels, nightlife, shopping, performing arts, activities, side-trips, and more
- PHOTO-FILLED “BEST OF” FEATURES on “Tokyo's Best Quirky Souvenir Stores,” “Best Temples and Shrines,” “Best Things to Buy,” “Best Things to Eat and Drink,” and more
- TRIP-PLANNING TOOLS AND PRACTICAL TIPS including when to go, getting around, beating the crowds, and saving time and money
- HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL INSIGHTS providing rich context on the local people, politics, art, architecture, cuisine, music, geography and more
- SPECIAL FEATURES on “Japanese Culture Primer,” “Peerless Fuji,” and “Kyoto's Philosopher's Path”
- LOCAL WRITERS to help you find the under-the-radar gems
- Japanese LANGUAGE PRIMER with useful words and essential phrases
- UP-TO-DATE COVERAGE ON: Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Sapporo, Nikko, Hiroshima, Kobe, Okinawa, Mt. Fuji, Fukuoka, Hakone, Kamakura, Nagoya, and more.
Planning on visiting other destinations in Asia? Check out Fodor’s Essential Vietnam, Fodor's Essential Thailand, and Fodor's Seoul.
*Important note for digital editions: The digital edition of this guide does not contain all the images or text included in the physical edition.
ABOUT FODOR'S AUTHORS: Each Fodor's Travel Guide is researched and written by local experts. Fodor’s has been offering expert advice for all tastes and budgets for over 80 years. For more travel inspiration, you can sign up for our travel newsletter at fodors.com/newsletter/signup, or follow us @FodorsTravel on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. We invite you to join our friendly community of travel experts at fodors.com/community to ask any other questions and share your experience with us!