From the breathtaking traces of the ancient world to the colorful corals of the Red Sea, experience a land of treasures with Moon Egypt. Inside you'll find:
- Strategic, flexible itineraries including a two-week Best of Egypt
- The top historic sights: Wander in the shadows of kings at Luxor’s Karnak Temple and stroll the Avenue of Sphinxes. Marvel at the magnificent temple of Queen Hatshepsut, travel back in time at the Grand Egyptian Museum, or wind your way through colorful backstreet markets in search of the perfect handmade souvenir
- Outdoor adventures: Summit historic Mt. Sinai at dawn or spend an evening horseback riding near the Great Pyramid of Giza. Escape the chaos of Cairo on a felucca boat cruise or bike through the City of the Dead. Kayak the Nile and camp under the stars in the White Desert
- The best local flavors: Feast on traditional Egyptian street food, dig into fresh seafood in Alexandria, and indulge your sweet tooth with a plate of kunafa or basbousa
- Firsthand insight from Cairo resident and American expat Sarah Smierciak on how to experience the real Egypt and avoid crowds
- Full-color, vibrant photos throughout
- Detailed maps and useful tips for navigating public transportation and taxis
- Focused coverage of Cairo and Giza, the Northern and Southern Nile Valleys (including Luxor and Nubia), Alexandria, the Suez Canal, the Red Sea Coast, South Sinai, and the Western Desert
- Helpful resources on Covid-19 and traveling to Egypt
- Thorough background information on the landscape, wildlife, history, government, culture, and local customs
- Handy tools including an Egyptian Arabic phrasebook and tips for travelers who are LGBTQ+, disabled, women traveling solo, as well as families with children
Exploring nearby? Try Moon Israel & the West Bank. Want to see more of Northern Africa? Check out Moon Morocco.
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
About the Author
Sarah Smierciak is a freelance political economy analyst and is working on her first documentary.
Her projects, centering on globalization and the Middle East, find her often in Cairo and other Egyptian locations, as well as elsewhere in the neighborhood. With a camera and pen always at hand, Sarah's goal is to capture the lifestyles and challenges of everyday people in this rapidly changing world.
She studied history and Middle East Studies at Northwestern University before completing an MPhil in International Development and DPhil in Middle East Studies at the University of Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship. She spent 2016-2017 in Turkey on a Fulbright Fellowship where she worked with Syrian and Iraqi communities in Istanbul.
In her spare time, Sarah competes globally in marathons and triathlons, including events in France, Turkey, Mexico and the US. She speaks fluent Arabic, Spanish and English, and stumbles through Turkish.
"Moon handbooks are always a pleasure to read. The writing is crisp, the research impressive, and the recommendations practical and down to earth."—Chicago Tribune
“The books are more easily readable than other guides. The main attractions are also marked with a special icon and sidebars and boxes highlight special information, making the Moon handbooks one of the most user-friendly guides in terms of visual appeal and organization…the quality is uniformly excellent."—Transitions Abroad
"Far from narrow minded, each Moon travel guide gives itinerary options for a variety of travelers’ budgets—from frugal to lavish. They make books catering to those who love the outdoors, those who have limited time, those staying exclusively in cities and those who’ve fully committed to living abroad. In all, they have hundreds of titles, ranging Bermuda to Budapest, that’ll teach you to embrace a new culture."—Gear Patrol, "The Best Travel Guidebooks for Every Journey"
"Moon handbooks have become known as well-written and exceptionally informative guides."—The New York Times
"Moon guides are perfect for the relaxed road tripper or outdoor explorer."—No Small Plan
"Moon handbooks are known for cannily combining logistical information with cultural background of a country or state."—Los Angeles Times