Why is PHP the most widely used programming language on the web? This updated edition teaches everything you need to know to create effective web applications using the latest features in PHP 7.4. You'll start with the big picture and then dive into language syntax, programming techniques, and other details, using examples that illustrate both correct usage and common idioms.
If you have a working knowledge of HTML, authors Kevin Tatroe and Peter MacIntyre provide many style tips and practical programming advice in a clear and concise manner to help you become a top-notch PHP programmer.
- Understand what's possible when you use PHP programs
- Learn language fundamentals, including data types, variables, operators, and flow control statements
- Explore functions, strings, arrays, and objects
- Apply common web application techniques, such as form processing, data validation, session tracking, and cookies
- Interact with relational databases like MySQL or NoSQL databases such as MongoDB
- Generate dynamic images, create PDF files, and parse XML files
- Learn secure scripts, error handling, performance tuning, and other advanced topics
- Get a quick reference to PHP core functions and standard extensions
About the Author
Kevin Tatroe has been an Apple Platforms and web stack engineer for almost 30 years, developing websites and mobile, desktop, and TV apps both small and enormous. He's attracted to technologies that allow for rapid iteration, experimentation, and highly opinionated architecture. Kevin, his wife Jenn, his son Hadden, and their two cats are recent transplants to Los Angeles, trading the quiet farmland of Colorado for the bustle of Hollywood. Their house remains filled with LEGO creations, board games, books, and numerous other distractions.Peter MacIntyre has over 28 years of experience in the information technology industry, primarily in the area of PHP and Web Technologies. He has contributed writing material for many IT industry publications: Author of PHP: The Good Parts (O'Reilly); co-author: Pro PHP Programming (APress), Programming PHP (3rd Edition - O'Reilly), Using Visual Objects, Using PowerBuilder 5, ASP.NET Bible, Web Warrior Survey on Web Development Languages, and Zend Studio for Eclipse Developer's Guide.Peter is a co-founder and past co-chair and past board member for the Northeast PHP Developer's Conference held in Boston, MA and Charlottetown, PE Canada for the last 6 years (northeastphp.org). As well, Peter has spoken several times at North American and International computer conferences including PHPCE 2017 in Warsaw, Poland; PHP[World] 2016 in Washington, DC; ZendCon 2016 in Las Vegas, NortheastPHP 2017 & 2016 (Charlottetown, PE, Canada), Prairie Dev Con 2016 in Winnipeg, MB, Canada, CA-World in New Orleans, USA; CA-TechniCon in Cologne, Germany; and CA-Expo in Melbourne, Australia. He is a Zend Certified Engineer in PHP 5.3 and PHP 4.0.