From the biggest to the smallest, the fiercest to the cutest, this science-packed, photo-filled encyclopedia has everything you want to know about these amazing warm-blooded creatures.
What animal figured out how to eat a porcupine? Which creature smells like popcorn? How can cheetahs run so fast? From the colossal blue whale to the tiny pygmy shrew, plus lions, hippos, polar bears, sea otters, quokkas, orangutans, dolphins, and more, check out the 200-plus mammals in this colorful encyclopedia! Ultimate Mammalpedia bursts with fascinating facts about the fiercest, fastest, strangest, coolest, and most aww-inspiring mammals on the planet! Features include:
- A lively introduction to the furry world of mammals, including distinguishing characteristics, mammal homes, family life, and more
- Fascinating information about more than 200 mammals, including their scientific name, habitat, diet, behavior, and latest discoveries, all reviewed for accuracy by experts in the field
- Incredible photographs of your favorite animals—and ones you never knew existed
- Colorful graphics illustrate mammal habitats, life cycles, and more
- Fun fact boxes about quirky characteristics, fascinating physical features, bizarre behaviors, and more
Complete your collection with other National Geographic Kids Ultimate “pedias”!
- Ultimate Dinopedia 2nd edition
- Ultimate Bugopedia
- Ultimate Reptileopedia
- Ultimate Oceanpedia
- Ultimate Predatorpedia
- Ultimate Weatherpedia
About the Author
STEPHANIE WARREN DRIMMER writes about science and nature for kids. Her books have explored everything from baby animals to the human brain to outer space. Some of her favorite titles for National Geographic Kids are Beneath the Waves, about the fantastic diversity of ocean life, and Surprising Stories Behind Everyday Stuff, about the weird histories of objects from ketchup to frisbees. Stephanie has an MA in science journalism from New York University. She lives near Seattle, Washington, with her family. You can visit her website at www.stephaniedrimmer.com.