Other Books in Series
This is book number 6 in the Dover Books on Physics series.
- #1: Electrodynamics, Volume 1: Volume 1 of Pauli Lectures on Physics (Dover Books on Physics #1) (Paperback): $11.95
- #2: Optics and the Theory of Electrons, Volume 2: Volume 2 of Pauli Lectures on Physics (Dover Books on Physics #2) (Paperback): $9.95
- #3: Thermodynamics and the Kinetic Theory of Gases, Volume 3: Volume 3 of Pauli Lectures on Physics (Dover Books on Physics #3) (Paperback): $8.95
- #4: Statistical Mechanics, Volume 4: Volume 4 of Pauli Lectures on Physics (Dover Books on Physics #4) (Paperback): $8.95
- #5: Wave Mechanics, Volume 5: Volume 5 of Pauli Lectures on Physics (Dover Books on Physics #5) (Paperback): $11.95
In the 1950s the distinguished theoretical physicist Wolfgang Pauli delivered a landmark series of lectures at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich. His comprehensive coverage of the fundamentals of classical and modern physics was painstakingly recorded not only by his students, but also by a number of collaborators whose carefully edited transcriptions resulted in a remarkable six-volume work.
This volume, the sixth in the series, focuses on selected topics in field quantization and considers such subjects as quantization of the electron-positron field, response to an external field, quantization of free fields, quantum electrodynamics, interacting fields, the Heisenberg representation, the S-matrix, and Feynman's approach to quantum electrodynamics. As does each book in the series, Volume 6 includes an index and a wealth of helpful figures.
Originally published in 1973, the text remains entirely relevant thanks to Pauli's manner of presentation. As Victor F. Weisskopf notes in the Foreword to the series, Pauli's style is commensurate to the greatness of its subject in its clarity and impact.... Pauli's lectures show how physical ideas can be presented clearly