I Was an Eighth-Grade Ninja: 1 (Z Graphic Novels / Tomo) (Paperback)
A young immigrant girl's story and a battle between a fantastical kingdom and earth collide in this first book of the Tomo graphic novel series, where thirteen-year-old orphan Hana must leave Japan for a new life in America. Her arrival complicates not only her life, but that of a group of animal-like beings who are searching for an ancient sword.
Winner of the Moonbeam Award bronze medal for comics and graphic novels
Following the death of her mother, Hana is forced to move to San Francisco to live with a grandfather she has never met. While her grandpa is kind and welcoming, and has a cute raccoon named Tomo, the only place Hana feels at home is in his dojo, where she further hones her martial arts technique. Then she meets Brittany, a girl who could become a good friend ... but Brittany also has friends who want to see Hana fail at any cost.
At the same time, in the kingdom of Argon Falls, the bull-like Lord Ardath and his fox warriors search for a sword that will cement Ardath's rule and give him ultimate control ... and a special portal has led him directly to San Francisco.
I Was an Eighth-Grade Ninja:
- is perfect for readers 10 and up
- was created by veteran animators from Disney Animation Studios
- features diverse characters, including an Asian main character
- contains kid-friendly, anime-like illustrations and a relatable plot
- will appeal to fans of Studio Ghibli, Jen Wang, and graphic novels